Monday 12 August 2013

Jaws (1975) - #8

Empire top 301: #8
IMDb top 250: #148

Rating 8/10

Director: Steven Spielberg
Writers: Peter Benchley & Carl Gottlieb
Starring: Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw & Richard Dreyfuss

"You're gonna need a bigger boat."

I love Jaws, have done since the first time I saw it when I was about 12. It's just a brilliant movie. The thing that makes this movie so good and effective is the build up, it's well over half way into the movie before we get a good look at Jaws. Most of the kills are from Jaws point of view and all built up with John Williams brilliant score. This is one of Spielberg's best films and one that is still as good today as it was 38 years ago. Yes, at times Jaws looks a bit fake by today's standards but it's still pretty good. 




Every actor in this film does a really good job, especially Robert Shaw who's Indianapolis speech  is pretty amazing and still gives me chills. There are plenty of laughs and scares, the head coming out of the boat still makes me jump even though I know it's coming. 


Jaws is a great movie and really deserves to be in the top 500 greatest movies of all time. It's definitely in my top 500! 



No comments:

Post a Comment