Sunday 18 August 2013

Field of Dreams (1989) - #191

Empire top 301: #191
IMDb top 250: -

Rating 6/10

Director: Phil Alden Robinson
Writers: Phil Alden Robinson
Starring: Kevin Costner, James Earl Jones & Ray Liotta

"If you build it, he will come."

I've never seen Field of Dreams and truth be told it's not one of the movies I got excited about watching when I first looked through the top 500. However, today I randomly picked a number between 1 and 500 and decided to watch whatever fell under that number, I picked 260. Field of Dreams is a lovely movie for a lazy Sunday afternoon but I certainly wouldn't class it as one of the greatest ever made. 



The film is about Ray Kinsella a man who buys a farm with his wife and starts hearing a voice which tells him to build a baseball field, "If you build it, he will come." Once he builds the field a serious of clues and events lead Ray to what he was looking for right at the beginning. It's a sweet movie about family, in particular fathers and sons and I must admit I did have a little lump in my throat at the end. 

Kevin Costner is pretty much Kevin Costner, which isn't a bad thing because he's not a terrible actor but it's not 'performance of a lifetime' stuff. James Earl Jones is good and I could listen to his voice all day. He could read the phonebook and make it entertaining. Ray Liotta is decent as is Amy Madigan who was very funny in the PTA scene. 

There are other funny moments in the movie and it is has a "magical" feeling about it - helped by James Horners score - but it got to the point where I couldn't figure out who was a ghost and who wasn't, was there some time-traveling going on, were they all crazy....I wasn't quite sure and it left me a bit, huh, at times. 

I'm glad I've watched it but not one I'd rush to watch again.


No comments:

Post a Comment