Wednesday 13 August 2014

Dumb & Dumber (1994) - #244

Empire top 301: #244
IMDb top 250: -

Rating 6/10

"Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!"

Director: Peter Farrelly
Writers: Peter Farrelly, Bennett Yellin & Bobby Farrelly 
Starring: Jim Carrey, Jeff Daniels & Lauren Holly

Harry (Daniels) and Lloyd (Carrey) are two brainless losers who try to return a suitcase full of money to its pretty owner (Holly). After a journey full of accidents they arrive in snowy Aspen, Colorado and try to find her. But will they succeed?


In 1994 I was 10  and when my parents finally let me watch this movie when I was a couple of years older, I thought it was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen. Myself and my siblings watched it over and over again and we always found it hilarious. Now 20 years later after watching again, I can still say it's a very funny movie. My humour over those years has changed so there are several moments in the movie which no longer make me buckle over with laughter. However, Lloyds fantasy over Mary and Harry's toilet scene still make me roar and I still find Harry's reply to the cop's calling of "pullover" with "no it's a cardigan but thanks for noticing" absolute genius. 

Both Carrey and Daniels are very funny in the movie, especially Jeff Daniels who plays stupid really well. Terri Garr is criminally underused and I would have liked to have seen more of her character. Lauren Holly's deer in a headlights acting, wears thin on me now and I find her character rather irritating. 


Dumb & Dumber has become a cult classic, but of all the Farrelly brother's comedies I'd have liked to have seen in the top 301 it would have been There's Something About Mary which I feel is much better and funnier than this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment